Turmeric and Ginger Golden TeaApril 7, 2016
Top 10 Myths of Thyroid DiseaseApril 7, 2016
Who doesn’t love a good burrito bowl? They are so versatile because you can make them as simple or as complex as you want. They can be as basic as plain black beans, sliced avocado, store-bought salsa, and rice, or you can add an array of your favorite toppings. Here is a great homemade bowl that is sure to please! It is so TASTY!
- 3 cups dry brown long-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon macadamia oil
- Salsa of your choice, no added sugar
- Sliced green onion, for garnish
- 1 lb of organic if possible boneless skinless chicken cooked and shredded
- 1 bag of organic corn
FOR THE SPICY BLACK BEANS:
- 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4-1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1/2 + 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
- 2 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (14-oz) can organic black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup unpacked organic cilantro, large stems removed and finely chopped
FOR THE AVOCADO-LIME SAUCE (MAKES HEAPING 1/2 CUP):
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 large avocado, pitted
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon fine iodine free sea salt, or to taste
- For the rice: Add the rice and 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil into a medium pot along with 2 cups of water. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Immediately reduce the heat to low-medium, and cover with a lid. Cook the rice until it’s tender and the water is absorbed. For white long-grain rice this will take 13-20 minutes, but please follow the directions on your specific package for best results.
- Boil corn according to package.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Spicy Black Beans: In a large wok or skillet, add the oil and melt it over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, along with a pinch of salt, and saute for about 5-6 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, chili powder, garlic powder, dried oregano, cayenne (if using), and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Continue sauteing for another 3-5 minutes (increasing/reducing heat if necessary), until the tomato softens.
- Now stir in the tomato paste and drained and rinsed black beans. Cook for a few more minutes until heated throughout. Taste and add more salt if desired. Stir in the cilantro. You can leave the mixture over low heat until ready to serve or simply turn off the heat and reheat before serving.
- For the Avocado-Lime Sauce: Mince the garlic clove in a mini food processor (or use a regular size processor, if necessary). Now add the avocado flesh, lime juice, water, and salt. Process until smooth. Taste and adjust lime juice if desired. I usually add another teaspoon.
- When the rice is ready, reheat the bean mixture, if necessary. Divide the rice between 3-4 bowls. Top each with a couple scoops of the chicken, hot black bean mixture,corn, and a large spoonful of both the salsa and the Avocado-Lime Sauce. Garnish with sliced green onion and optional sliced grape tomatoes. Serve immediately.