Saccharomyces BoulardiiJuly 5, 2016
Antipasto Pasta SaladJuly 5, 2016
Who doesn’t like a good lettuce wrap? This would be a perfect summertime lunch or dinner. Protein packed and easy to prepare. What else could you ask for?
- 3 to 5 tablespoons (GF) hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon (GF) tamari
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (divided)
- 8 ounces chopped mushrooms
- 1 8 ounce can water chestnuts (drained and chopped small)
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 1-inch piece of ginger diced (about 1 tbsp)
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 2 small heads of organic butter lettuce
- Red pepper flakes for garnish
- Hot sauce (if wanted)
- Combine 3 tablespoons of the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and sesame oil in a small bowl. Whisk to combine with a fork and keep near the stove. If you’d like a more thickened, glossy sauce, whisk in 1 teaspoon of cornstarch.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the ground turkey and cook until cooked through and no longer pink (7 to 8 minutes). Break up the turkey into small crumbles as you cook. Transfer the cooked turkey to a clean bowl.
- Warm the other teaspoon of oil in the skillet. Add the mushrooms, along with any other optional extra vegetables you want, and cook until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the water chestnuts, garlic, and ginger, and cook until aromatic, about 30 seconds.
- Transfer the cooked turkey back to the pan with the vegetables, along with half of the green onions.
- Pour the sauce over the top of the turkey mixture and stir to coat. Cook just until you hear bubbling and the sauce is warmed through which should only be 30 to 60 seconds. Taste a spoonful of the mixture and add more hoisin sauce if you’d like a stronger flavor.
- Break off all the lettuce leaves and pile them on a plate in the center of the table, along with small dishes with hot sauce, red pepper flakes, and the remaining sliced green onions. Transfer the hot turkey mixture to a serving dish, or serve straight from the skillet. Give everyone a spoon and have them dig in!
- I’ve found that it’s best to place a generous spoonful of turkey mixture in the middle of a lettuce leaf, top with green onions and hot sauce or red pepper flakes, and eat right away.
- Enjoy! :)