Do you or a loved one suffer from:
If so, mercury poisoning could be the source of your symptoms.
Exposure to mercury is something you face everyday. Even though you are only exposed to small amounts, the threat is real because it builds up. What affects you is your whole life’s accumulated burden of it.
The main sources of exposure are:
Dental amalgams are silver colored fillings. They are made of 40-50% mercury. Amalgams gradually degrade and constantly leech mercury into your body. Amalgams are so toxic, the EPA has written elaborate procedures that dental labs must follow when disposing of any unused material.
Seafood contains a type of mercury that is especially prone to end up in our brains. Even small amounts have been shown to impair your ability to select words, to process new information, and worsen hand/eye coordination. The EPA was alarmed enough about this to issue a report to congress in 1997. In it they stated that at least 8% of American women ages 16-49 carried dangerous levels of mercury in their bodies from seafood.
Types of seafood with the most mercury are good to simply avoid. These include Mackerel, Shark, Swordfish and Tilefish. Although Tuna is not the highest source of mercury, it is a type of fish that many of us eat on a daily basis or close to it. The Environmental Working Group advises no more than 4 ounces of Tuna per week for most adults. Lower mercury types of seafood include Herring, Pollock, Salmon, Sardines, Shrimp and Tilapia.
High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) is a sweetener widely used by food manufacturers. Many have argued that it more dangerous than sugar. The increased use of HFCS over the last few decades has paralleled the rise in obesity over the same timeframe. It is now so common in our foods, the average American eats 1/4 – ½ cup of it every day!
A 2009 study showed that mercury was present in ½ of the foods containing HFCS. Many factories that produce HFCS do still use dated but low cost ‘mercury-cell’ technologies.
Many medications use mercury as a preservative. This is especially common in vaccines. The FDA has a list of over 130 prescription and over the counter medications which contain mercury. These include eye drops, nasal sprays, skin creams, hemorrhoid ointments. Mercury is readily absorbed into the body from any of these sources.
Now that it is apparent that we are all exposed daily, what can you do about it?
Even if you do not have symptoms from mercury, be aware if the sources and avoid those you can. This will both lower your risk of harm and will also lower the global burden of mercury by supporting greener manufacturers.
Further steps you can take include:
If you have had past exposure to mercury sources or have symptoms that may be related, consider getting tested. Mercury can be tested via blood, urine, hair and stool. Some tests show only recent exposure while others can show your total body burden. Talk to a doctor trained in environmental medicine to determine your best options.
If untreated, mercury raises your long term risks of Alzheimer’s disease, heart attacks, diabetes and several types of cancer.
If it is present, mercury can safely be removed from your brain and the rest of your body. Those who do have mercury and get it out, feel so much better. Common improvements include better mental focus, weight loss, easier word selection and healthier skin.
As always never give up on your health, you can get better!