Why No Dairy, Eggs, Soy, Gluten EtcJune 20, 2016
Get Glowing this Summer with Dry Skin BrushingJune 24, 2016
Eggplant is one of the world’s healthiest foods. Eggplant is a rich source of phytochemicals, which are nutrients from plant-based foods. People who eat more phytochemicals have a lower risk for heart disease. Eggplant also provides a relatively high amount of dietary fiber. This recipe would be a perfect Meatless Monday option! It is delicious and I know everyone in the family will enjoy!
- 4 pounds eggplant (3 to 4 eggplants)
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup low sodium broth
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- optional: grape tomatoes and cinnamon sticks (for garnish)
- Preheat a large iron skillet over close to medium heat. Peel the eggplant and chop into 1 inch cubes. Set aside.
- Add 1/4 cup of the oil to the skillet. Place half of the eggplant cubes into the skillet and spread evenly. Season with a couple big pinches of sea salt. Resist the urge to stir them until the first side is brown.
- Meanwhile, heat your medium sized soup pan over low to medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the onion, garlic, tomato paste, broth, turmeric, cinnamon, and salt. When it reaches a simmer reduce the heat to low.
- When the eggplant is brown on the first side add another 1/4 cup oil and stir. Resist the urge to stir them until the second side is brown.
- When the eggplant is nicely browned and tender add it to the oven with the other ingredients. Repeat the process of cooking the eggplant, using 1/4 cup oil while the first side browns, and another 1/4 cup as the second side browns.
- Transfer the eggplant to the soup pan, making sure to get all the yummy brown bits from the pan.
- Turn off the heat and use a hand blender to puree the stew to the desired texture. (You can also transfer to a food processor/blender and lightly blend to achieve the same effect).
- Serve with 1 cup cooked brown rice per person if following the ARD diet.